[Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies

Lydia Pintscher lydia.pintscher at wikimedia.de
Mon Jun 3 09:59:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Ting Chen <wing.philopp at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello dear all,
>
> I happened to worked with a few biology interwikis on WikiData today and saw
> the taxnomical data on it. Given that WikiData is growing and more potential
> would not it be a good idea to merge WikiSpecies data into WikiData and
> close WikiSpecies (hope now there will no stones or rotten tomatos flying
> for this naive question ;-) )?

Hi Ting,

It is too early for this discussion to be honest. The data in Wikidata
isn't up to it yet. Most of the taxonomy data isn't complete and it
isn't sourced properly yet. I've been talking about this topic with
quite a few people knowledgeable about this matter and taxonomy is not
as easy as it might seem from the outside. This needs experts and
time.
Besides this I believe any discussion like this should be started by
and in the WikiSpecies community.

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Technical Projects

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de