[Wikimedia-l] Let's have the courage to sit down and talk about VisualEditor

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 14:52:02 UTC 2013

Erik Moeller, 31/07/2013 07:28:
> We can't just work through a
> mountain of feedback in a waterfall development model and hope that
> all our assumptions about how to fix this or that complex issue will
> work out in practice.

+1
Also, such an important feature cannot be based on biased feedback from
a subset of users and projects.

Erik Moeller, 30/07/2013 18:03:
 > The steady stream of feedback has
 > been invaluable, and I think the changelog of the last few weeks
 > demonstrates that beyond all doubt.

I think it would be helpful, if possible, to give some guesstimates of
this, i.e.: how longer a wait it would cost us to reach some rank of
quality if the deployment was downscaled; or, what would be the
"deadline" for feedback on aspects X and Y to be actually able to be
processed and worked on, before previous development decisions become
irreversible or the developers move on to something else.
	We have seen some other products stuck for a few weeks or months in
semi-ready state, which have then been deployed and have experienced
some problems that were not predicted; or other products which have been
used only on en.wiki (with dozens of WMF staffers involved in processing
the feedback from one single wiki) and which are later deployed to other
wikis when the product is already in maintenance mode, so that those
wikis will never have a chance to influence the development.
	If de.wiki users or other users discussing/voting on whether to delay
wider VE deployment could do so knowing that "delaying by x months will
make us wait y months more to get use case w to work", or "if we delay
after day z, feedback from our community will not influence the
deployment of w", the conclusions would be more meaningful. If one
assumes that the cost of delaying is 0, as it's what we've been using
for 12 years, of course the benefits will always seem to outweigh the
downsides.

Nemo