[Wikimedia-l] Let's have the courage to sit down and talk about VisualEditor

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 23:09:36 UTC 2013

It is absolutely true that the power users can't directly speak for
the new users or anons.

That said, it would be unusual (though not impossible) if 85% of one
group held an opinion without a large fraction of other related
communities also sharing that view.  If the WMF or someone else wants
to commission a study of anon and new users opinions, that would
definitely be interesting to see.  Personally, I think VE is probably
still too immature to be spending a lot of money asking people about
it.  (In other words, many of the problems and missing features are
pretty obvious and we don't need to query large numbers of people to
hear about things we already know.)  Once it is a bit more stable and
the low hanging fruit have been addressed, it could be quite
instructive to get some user interaction studies on how people think
it could be made better.

We also might be able to get some useful data by further A/B testing.
For example, if VE is disabled, then assigning some anons to a VE
enabled group (perhaps by a cookie) could provide a valuable
comparison that we don't presently have.

For the moment, the thing we do have is edit counts over time (and
similar data).  Such data is certainly subject to various confounding
influences, but the data we do have for anons and new users isn't
exactly exciting.  New users are only choosing VE at the 30-40% level
for article edits, while anons are at the 20% use level.  Not exactly
a sign of wild enthusiasm for the new editing platform.  By itself,
these lowish use numbers are probably enough to conclude that neither
group is overwhelmingly excited by VE, though admittedly both numbers
are much higher than the 6% usage seen by established users.

The number I worry a bit more about is that total anon editing of
articles has fallen 9% in the two weeks since introduction (compared
to the prior two weeks).  During the same time period total editing of
articles by registered users rose 2%.  Again, correlation is not
causation, but if novice editors really liked VE then I would rather
have expected total anon editing to increase relative to established
users.  Even though anons and power user undoubtedly have different
needs.  I can't help worrying that the bugs, missing features, and
sluggish performance that power users complain about might also be
discouraging some of the anonymous and new users.  If the present
state of VE is actually discouraging new editors then that would be a
good sign that it isn't yet ready for wide deployment.

If I were designing a research program to study VE, I would certainly
make getting additional information on anon behaviors a high priority,
either by conducting new comparison trials or by finding better ways
to tease out patterns in editing trends.

-Robert Rohde