[Wikimedia-l] On the gentrification of Wikipedia, by Superbass (was: Visual Editor)

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Mon Jul 29 22:41:18 UTC 2013

On 07/29/2013 06:00 PM, Michael Snow wrote:
> achieving the sum of all human knowledge requires all humans to
> collaborate in it

+1

This is particularly important as the quality of coverage decreases
sharply as you stray further from the interests that coincide with the
profile of current editors (male-dominated, Eurocentric, tech-aware).

We're not going to get coverage from the perspective of other cultural
groups until they participate, and they're not going to participate
until we make it possible from them to do so without having to face a
wall of wikimarkup.

Nostalgia for the "good old days" of hand-spun wikitables with baroque
hacked together syntax notwithstanding.

-- Marc