[Wikimedia-l] Questions for the WMF Board of Trustees?

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 19:29:59 UTC 2013

Phoebe,

I am wondering if you (or another board member) would elaborate a
little on how you see the Board's role when it comes to the evolving
technical development of WMF projects?

WMF has articulated a medium- to long-term vision for Mediawiki that
builds on projects like VisualEditor, Flow, Echo (notifications),
Parsoid, etc.  While I don't expect the Board to be in the business of
choosing what technology to use, the WMF vision does seem to speak
heavily to future changes in what the experience of editing Wikipedia
(and other projects) will be like.  More visual and mouse based, etc.
Is that something the Board ever involves itself in?

Given current plans, it seems likely that questions surrounding
changes in user experience and the deployment of new technology will
be among the most significant issues for the editor community.

-Robert Rohde