[Wikimedia-l] Progress...

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 16:41:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

> > Hoi,
> >
> > Sorry Fred, I do not like your post. The quote has it wrong because
> > research shows that it is factually wrong. Wikipedia has a better
> > coverage
> > at a superior quality to the encyclopaedia that went before. The only
> > thing
> > I can agree with is that it is available at a much lower cost; it is the
> > cost of having access to the Internet.
> >
> > As a consequence why should I read it ?
> > Thanks,
> >        GerardM
>
> If systemic biased editing is not considered your statement would be
> true. However, one of the side effects of our volunteeristic methods is
> that systemic bias resulting from editing by groups and interests with
> numberless agendas is inevitable; not that Britannica was without certain
> systemic biases. Wikipedia does not have good editorial control and can
> never have it. Gresham's law is at work; no printed book has the beauty
> and quality of the Lindisfarne Gospels; nothing made on a machine loom
> compares remotely with Navajo weaving.
>
> Fred
>

> > On 26 July 2013 13:48, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> >
> >> "As with other inventions that produced an inferior product at a much
> >> lower price, from the printing press to the steam-driven loom to
> >> Wikipedia, what happens now is largely in the hands of the people
> >> experimenting with the new tools, rather than defending themselves from
> >> them."
> >>

> http://chronicle.com/blogs/conversation/2013/07/08/moocs-and-economic-reality/
> >>
> >> Fred

Perhaps not as beautiful, but a lot fewer people would have clothing and
blankets if we stuck only to that. I think the same is true of giving the
entire world free access to a massive reference work, a project that twenty
years ago would have been unthinkable.

Todd

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.