[Wikimedia-l] Feedback for the Wikimedia Foundation

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 04:04:50 UTC 2013

If I understand the minutes of the VE / Parsoid quarterly review [1]
correctly, then significant changes for templates could be on the
table for the first half of calendar year 2014.  One of the largest
technical challenges for the handling of templates in the VE / Parsoid
context is that individual templates can have open-ended syntax where,
for example, one template opens a table and an different template
closes it (and even more ridiculous examples).  Hence the individual
templates are not necessarily closed units in themselves but may
interact with content from other parts of the pages, which creates
various problems for parsers.

In the minutes, the possibility of simply banning such open-ended
templates is mentioned, though the reply in the minutes suggests that
such an option was seen as probably too disruptive of existing
content.  Hence the developers mentioned a need to find better ways to
enforce the nesting of templates while also supporting all (or at
least most) existing content.

However, it does seem likely that devs are discussing changes to the
way templates are handled that would move away from the current
structure where templates are allowed to contain completely arbitrary
blocks of wikitext that would only be interpreted once the whole page
is assembled.

-Robert Rohde

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Metrics_and_activities_meetings/Quarterly_reviews/VisualEditor-Parsoid/July_2013