[Wikimedia-l] About the concentration of resources in SF (it was: "Communication plans for community engagement"

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 19:02:55 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> Anyway, being able to disband the SF office as regards software
> development (and perhaps more), and switch to remote work only, would
> probably be the single most effective measure for enhancing communication
> and cooperation in the movement.

As someone who moved to SF to work here, I could not disagree more. The
amount of time and energy I save being near many of the people I work with
closely in the same space is enormous. Not to mention the fact that many of
us work better together with people we are able to see socially and so on.
I could go on, but the truth is I think no one actually responsible for
making such a decision is crazy enough to get rid of a central office.
(Move the office? Maybe someday if we really are forced to. We've done it
before. But get rid of a central office? No.)