[Wikimedia-l] About the concentration of resources in SF (it was: "Communication plans for community engagement"

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 14:10:24 UTC 2013

> And it has additional problems like finding technical staff at a reasonable
> price there and having to relocate people from all over the world, when
> some development centers could be open at other locations too, which might
> be cheaper:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#Development_centers_in_other_places_outside_US
>
> Why is this not done? Wikidata is being developed that way, so it is
> possible. Is there anything against repeating the experience?

I am thinking the same thing every time I read that "it is hard to find
programmers in San Francisco for the offered salary" (a recurring statement
over the years). We are a global movement with global projects and global
goals. Secondly, in the IT industry having several locations on a global
scale is more than common. Thridly, in the software engineering field
employees are paid "good" salaries even in poor countries (albeit
comparatively cheaper than in the Silicon Valley). Therefore we wouldn't
have to worry about being accused of abusing underpaid labour.

Dimi