[Wikimedia-l] The soft underbelly of the WP: the sponsored private fiefdoms that thrive in the blind spots

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Wed Jul 24 02:20:33 UTC 2013

> Thanks Andreas
>
> Iit didn't cross my mind that you would actually go and check - at the
> time
> the search terms were in Portuguese, so you will probably find different
> results - If I find the original pic I will send it to you.
>
> But more importantly, the porn on Flickr is a secondary issue - the
> intent
> of my email was to draw attention to the possibility of corporate control
> of the information, which you have already addressed.
>
> I saw something about CHECKUSER, and that special procedures must be
> followed to 'out' such people - or reveal possible sockpuppet or
> one-purpose accounts. I'll look into those and let you know.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rui

Checkuser is done only when it seems someone is creating multiple
accounts and abusing them in some way. In instances of concerted conflict
of interest editing it doesn't really matter whether there is one person,
many, or a group or firm behind the edits. They are treated as socks
because of their manner of editing, not because of technical proof of
identity.

Fred