[Wikimedia-l] Feedback for the Wikimedia Foundation

Romaine Wiki romaine_wiki at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 23 04:42:42 UTC 2013

Hello Erik Möller,

> We're not going to solve these challenges if we lock away VisualEditor
> into some kind of laboratory and work in waterfall mode for another
> year. We have to make improvements every day, and get them into
> production every week, in order to find solutions that make sense.

> That's why it's the right decision to get VisualEditor out there now,
> and to continue to improve it, and that's why I would encourage
> everyone to not take the easy way out and hide it from their
> experience, but to keep hammering at it, keep reporting issues, and
> help us make it the best editing experience it can be.

Nobody have said, so far I have seen, that the visual editor should be locked away for a year, the longest estimate of the time needed to get ready is some months. Mentioning an extreme time schedule seems to me a form of framing, exaggerating is not a good base as argumentation. Sorry, we don't fall for that.

I still see no good reason in you mail why "it's the right decision". You still miss the point: local communities expect that when a piece of software comes out of the beta it has a basic of good functioning. Now it has not, it still messes pages up on nl-wiki and this fact is been ignored for weeks now. The local community does not want to fix the problems the visual editor causes. The software should help us instead of giving us extra work.

I still don't see a reflection in your mail that you take the feedback from local communities seriously. You would encourage everyone to hide the visual editor, but 80% of the community on nl-wiki thinks it should stay in beta until the problems are solved and should be hidden. We are willing to help, please stop ignoring the feedback about problems and stop ignoring the communities.

Romaine