[Wikimedia-l] Feedback for the Wikimedia Foundation

David Cuenca dacuetu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 21:10:17 UTC 2013

It seems there was a problem in what the definition of success is.
For the WMF success was to deploy the VE according to the plan and budget
and to reach certain usage percentage.
For the community it was a different kind of metric, maybe a more
thoroughly tested product or a slower and progressive deployment?

These kinds of misunderstandings are not uncommon, and no bad faith or
negligence should be assumed from either side:
http://www.cio.com/article/440721/Common_Project_Management_Metrics_Doom_IT_Departments_to_Failure

If the deployment had been delayed or slowed down, the WMF would have
considered it a failure according to their metrics, but maybe the comunity
would had taken it better according to theirs...

Micru

 On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Lodewijk wrote:
> >To be totally clear: the poll is to make the visual editor *invisible*,
> >with an opt-in for testing purposes. I am assuming this was to be
> >achieved through either not rolling it out on nlwiki, or through js/css.
>
> It's incredibly frustrating and upsetting that VisualEditor already has
> this functionality built in to it.
>
> When VisualEditor was first introduced on the English Wikipedia, this was
> the behavior: it was completely opt-in based on a user preference in
> Special:Preferences. This user preference was subsequently hidden in
> order to force users to either try VisualEditor or add additional
> JavaScript via an unsupported JavaScript gadget to disable VisualEditor
> altogether. This has further eroded both community support for
> VisualEditor and trust between the Wikimedia Foundation and editors.
>
> There's an active discussion on wikitech-l about this.
>
> MZMcBride

Etiamsi omnes, ego non