[Wikimedia-l] Feedback for the Wikimedia Foundation

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 21:02:08 UTC 2013

At enwiki, we have similar results.  [1]  For example

"VisualEditor, as currently deployed, is a useful feature" ( 5
Support, 37 Oppose )

Even though most users believe VisualEditor is nonetheless a good idea

"VisualEditor is a good idea in theory" ( 54 Support, 5 Oppose, 5 Neutral )

Taken in context with the various comments in other forums (such as
WP:VE/F), the fact that 1300 enwiki users have enabled a gadget to
remove VE, and the early evidence that VE makes new users less likely
to edit [2][3], and I think one would also see a majority of enwiki
participants voting in favor of turning the thing off.  Somehow I
don't think the WMF would actually let enwiki go back to an opt-in
mode, but I do believe that a majority of the editors likely to
participate in such polls would support that at present.

Of course, this deployment is clearly being run in a top-down fashion
without much effort to determine whether the various communities
involved feel the software is ready.

-Robert Rohde

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:VisualEditor/RFC
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:VisualEditor%27s_effect_on_newly_registered_editors/Results