[Wikimedia-l] Kicking-off the Chapters Dialogue project

Nicole Ebber nicole.ebber at wikimedia.de
Mon Jul 22 11:19:29 UTC 2013

Dear Wikimedia friends,

we are now ready to kick-off the Chapters Dialogue[1] project and I
would like to give you an update about the current situation and the
next steps.

The Chapters Dialogue is a structured assessment of chapters needs,
goals and stories combined with a stakeholder survey. The goal is to
gain an overview in the universe of Wikimedia chapters and their
numerous stakeholders (WMF, FDC, AffCom, WCA, local communities) and
to uncover existing stories about how the chapters define themselves
and their roles in the international movement and what interests they
have and what challenges they might face. It will not only allow us to
reflect the status quo of our roles and relationships, but will enable
us to actively shape them in the future.

For the next six month, we will collaborate with Design Thinking[2] &
User Research expert Kira Krämer who will facilitate the collection of
stories and insights. She has three years professional experience with
the Design Thinking methodology, both running projects based on the
user-centered approach and teaching the method to different types of
organizations. Kira is not a Wikimedian which provides us with a
neutral perspective of a researcher, without a personal Wikimedia
history and agenda. Together, we will design, realise and evaluate the
project.

== What will happen? ==

We have listed a first collection of questions and topics we would
like to discuss with chapters and stakeholders on the Chapters
Dialogue talk page[4].

On top of that, we will start getting in touch with stakeholders and
chapters to ask for their input, feedback and ideas directly.

You can also meet us at Wikimania in Hong Kong: We will be present at
the Wikimania pre-conference from August 6 on and in the Chapters
Village[3] throughout the whole conference. We have planned following
activities:

* inform about Chapters Dialogue
* discuss and exchange with as many people as possible
* collect feedback, ideas and inspiration
* conduct the first stakeholder interviews
* conduct at least three test-interviews with chapters
* open discussion round on Thursday (pre-conference, tbc)
* thematic meet-up in the Chapters Village on Saturday at 3.30 - 4.00 pm [4]

>From mid August, after adjusting the project according to the
collected feedback, we will start interviewing chapters, either
on-site and in person or via video conferences. We would really love
to be able to interview as many chapters as possible and are hoping
for your collaboration in arranging dates and meetings.

We are quite excited about now finally kicking-off this project and
look forward to working together with Kira and a lot of Wikimedia
people to make it a success. Come and join the discussion, contribute
your knowledge and curiosity, engage, discuss, participate – we’re
looking forward to meeting you.

You can either engage on the talk page or get in touch directly with
Kira (kira.kraemer at wikimedia.de) and me.

Cheers,

Nicole

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_Dialogue
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_thinking
[3] https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_Village
[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Chapters_Dialogue#Draft_research_questions_for_the_Chapters_Dialogue
[5] https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_Village#afternoon_coffee_break:_15:30.E2.80.9316:00

--
Nicole Ebber
International Affairs

Tel. +49 30 219158 26-0

http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das