[Wikimedia-l] [Advocacy Advisors] WMF response to PRISM?

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Wed Jul 17 13:50:08 UTC 2013

On 07/13/2013 01:00 AM, John Vandenberg wrote:
> The very first entry on prism-break is TOR, which is blocked on
> Wikimedia projects for editing, by explicit blocks and by the TorBlock
> extension, which is enabled on all wikis, even Chinese Wikipedia.

That'd be easy to solve were it not for the fact that - on enwp at least
- TOR has been (and is being) used almost exclusively for block evasion
and vandalism.

Interestingly enough(?), our desire for transparency and pseudonymity
actually makes TOR directly harmful to our project, since our only means
of protection left relies on being able to block according to the source
of an edit.

-- Coren / Marc