[Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

Tomasz W. Kozlowski tomasz at twkozlowski.net
Wed Jul 17 13:48:17 UTC 2013

Victor Grigas wrote:

 > This was because much of the material surrounding the video was
 > written in English, and there was a lot of it, so translation would
 > have been slow, expensive and prone to error.

That's what community translations are perfect for; they are free (in
terms of licence) and gratis (in terms of WMF costs), and if properly
managed might be quick in creation and might not contain too many errors
(just require a peer review before publishing).

 > We learned that YouTube does not count views from embedded videos on
 > external sites. (The actual view count for that video is more like
 > around half a million views.)

My Wikipedia nature tells me to ask you for a source that can back up
these claims; both for the number of views and the fact that YouTube
does not count views from videos embedded in <iframe /> elements. I'd
personally be very suprised if they didn't; lots and lots of websites
include their videos that way, and not counting views would result in
serious miscalculations that would go into tens (or perhaps hundreds) of
millions.

           Tomasz