[Wikimedia-l] Use of YouTube videos in fundraising banners

Philippe Beaudette philippe at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 17 05:21:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Victor Grigas <vgrigas at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> My thanks to everyone who made it happen - we actually had a player that
> would work on many (but not all) devices and it had the added benefit of
> open source closed captions, which I had never seen anywhere else. It was
> awesome, but the reality of it was that WMF just didn't have enough servers
> or bandwidth to support video on that scale - even if it was open source.
> Everyone in the engineering department who I spoke to agreed that it was
> impossible. I had to speak to the legal department about embedding a video
> from a third party (if that was even possible). I was told that if we were
> to have a link from a third party, on each and every video we would have to
> provide this disclaimer:

The other bit that Victor didn't mention (and I was in the room for these
meetings too) is that the links that were used were Youtube's "privacy
enhanced" mode links.  They don't actually store any user data unless the
user plays the video (and ours weren't set to play by default) - you had to
choose to play them, presumably after you read the disclaimer that Victor
mentions.  There was certainly informed consent there - I may be
misremembering, but I believe all the videos were also hosted on commons as
well, so that one could search and watch them there instead.  Victor could
confirm that, though.

pb

*Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.
 T : 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  philippe at wikimedia.org  |  :
@Philippewiki<https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>