[Wikimedia-l] Staff Images

Richard Symonds richard.symonds at wikimedia.org.uk
Sun Jul 14 23:06:26 UTC 2013

I'd say that yes, you want uniform pictures, with a uniform idea behind
them. For example, all professional, or all slightly informal, or all
crazy. It doesn't matter so much about tattoos, but they need to all have
the same feel or the page just feels off...

At the moment it does look a bit odd from an external perspective when one
staff member has a different style of profile picture to everyone else. If
Brandon's picture was a little more focussed on his face rather than his
arm, then I don't think anyone would have a huge problem - except that
you'd then probably need to change other staff portraits to be informal (or
allow staff to pick which ones they want to have), and the changing (and
the approval and monitoring of picture changes to ensure that no-one does
something stupid) could increase your workload. Who gets the final say in
whether a picture is appropriate? Do you need a staff photo policy? Can I
change other people's photos if I'm their friend? Could we change Sue's for
a laugh on April 1? What happens if a staff member has a photo taken
without a shirt on, or with a potentially offensive tattoo, or an NRA (or a
political) logo on their baseball cap or shirt? Do we want to run the risk
of alienating and upsetting people over such a small thing as a staff
photo? How often do donors (including major gifts) see the page? Will it
affect them?

There's nothing wrong with a bit of style and a few changes - even lively
changes - it's good to make staff appear more like 'normal people'. But it
needs a bit of thought behind the scenes to make sure that there's no
disruption as a result, and that everyone knows that they can change their
picture if they wish. That said, we've got a community with very exacting
standards, and even small changes can lead to forty emails on a mailing
list quite easily... which is a bit disruptive, regardless of whether the
changes are good or bad!

(I also realise that I have written three paragraphs about this issue,
which is about the same length as the reports I write at work...)

Yours etc.,

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992