[Wikimedia-l] Staff Images

Oliver Keyes okeyes at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 12 11:30:15 UTC 2013

Sure; there are countries with taboos around, for example, tattoos.
However, given that we run many encyclopaedias containing articles on
pretty much everything, taboo or no taboo (including ink!), anyone easily
offended is /going/ to be. There's a saying about horses and doors that
applies here.

Brandon does place his tattoo first. The tattoo, you will note, reads
"courage". It's what is known as a statement. Brandon is endorsing being
bold, not endorsing being inked.

On 12 July 2013 12:10, Eddy Paine <blogginged at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I didn't say that people with thats are not proffesionals. I have multiple
> myself also.
> I am saying that the page has a lay-out with pictures that all fit
> together and are specially made for that page. I believe you shouldn't
> destroy the lay-out or style by adding "personal" pictures. Otherwhise you
> should lose the style completly.
> Secondly we are a world wide organisation, and there are still enough
> countries where tats are not accepted yet. So it can be wise to try to
> minimise the things on pictures that can be offensive for some people.
> And as last. Brandon places his tattoo first and makes his face blurry.
> Thats why I started posting. If both the tattoo would be vissible and his
> face I wouldn't have any problems at all.
> Ed

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development
Wikimedia Foundation