[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia in trouble /yet/ again

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Wed Jul 10 02:01:21 UTC 2013

On 07/09/2013 08:37 PM, Fred Bauder wrote:
> How is that not theft that we are facilitating?

Because "theft", is to deprive, temporarily or absolutely, the owner of
it, or a person who has a special property or interest in it, of the
thing or of his property or interest in it.

In some jurisdiction, linking to sites that play fast and loose with
Copyright /may/, in certain circumstances, be facilitating copyright
infringement.  It certainly isn't "theft".

(I am not saying the latter is okay -- but that calling copyright
infringement "theft" is inflammatory rhetoric and intellectually
dishonest, at best).

-- Marc