[Wikimedia-l] 2013/2014 budget again (m/Oppenheim on YouTube)

Samuel Klein sj at wikimedia.org
Sun Jul 7 13:46:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM, Garfield Byrd <gbyrd at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> SJ:
>
> As we may be very close to having a Board of Trustee approved budget, I
> suggest we wait until we can release the full Annual Plan document on July
> 1, so that there is context for the Wikimedia Foundation spending plan for
> FY 13-14.

Garfield,

This makes sense, since we started discussing the publishing process
late in this annual cycle.

I agree that we should publish a version of the final Plan as soon as
it has been approved.  We can do this even if there are minor
proofreading or formatting edits being made: publishing the exact
version that the Board approved, and updating it if necessary.

Next year, I think it would be also useful to publish a one-page
summary of the projected plan, after the Board discusses it in April.
This would relieve uncertainty and would be in line with the more
public plan-drafting that we recommend for chapters.

@Itzik and Tomasz: In previous years, final proofreading and
formatting has been done after the plan is approved; this has usually
taken ~2 weeks after the start of the fiscal year, before the plan is
published.  I believe the same is happening this year.  I hope that we
can adopt a more fluid publishing schedule in the coming year.

Sam.