[Wikimedia-l] [tangential] Why voting is evil

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Tue Jul 2 15:20:33 UTC 2013

On 07/02/2013 11:13 AM, David Gerard wrote:
> He claims this is how he did the Pirate Party, so you appear to be
> claiming that a successful minor political party may work in practice
> but can't possibly work in theory.

I suppose.  :-)  I'm surprised it did work; if it actually did it this
way.  That said, I'm not familiar enough with how a political party
works to estimate how that would have impacted this kind of organization.

What we are, ultimately, is a commons.  Without a process by which we
/can/ limit what others can do (something he advocates against) we are
doomed to the tragedy others have written about more eloquently than I can.

In other words, while voting may not be the best way to manage a common
garden, the ability to prevent someone from salting the ground -- no
matter how convinced they are that this will make for better tasting
vegetables -- is required.  I'm surprised something along those lines
doesn't apply to a political party (where, for instance image, is an
important shared resource.  What would the Pirate Party have done if
someone had started to bomb busses in their name without some mechanism
of exclusion or a process to decide whether that was an apropriate thing
to do for the party?)

-- Marc