[Wikimedia-l] "Legalised Piracy"

Mathieu Stumpf psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Wed Jan 30 12:40:37 UTC 2013

Le 2013-01-30 13:12, Richard Symonds a écrit :
> Very interesting things happening in Antigua and the US:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21247683
>
> Essentially, the World Trade Organization (WTO) have ruled that the
> islands
> have the right to suspend US intellectual property rights. It all
> stems
> from a trade dispute in 2003, where the US effectively banned
> electronic
> interstate gambling, which in turn damaged Antigua's economy."
>
> This has led to one thing and another, and "...on Monday the WTO's
> dispute
> settlement body gave final authorisation for Antigua to sell movies,
> music,
> games and software via a store that would be able to ignore US
> copyright
> and trademark claims."

Relevant parts on limits are:
"It later agreed a compensation packages with other WTO members, but
Antigua held out demanding $3.44bn (£2.2bn) of compensation a year. In
2007 the WTO awarded it the right to waive intellectual property rights
worth up to the smaller sum of $21m a year. On Monday the WTO's dispute
settlement body gave final authorisation for Antigua to sell movies,
music, games and software via a store that would be able to ignore US
copyright and trademark claim"

I wonder how they will evaluate things.

> I'm not sure what this means for the movement - I'm sure there will
> be a
> long and lively discussion - but it's a very interesting turn of
> events in
> IP law.

Well, on the one hand wikimedia host works in US, on the other hand,
how many works/articles hosted by wikimedia whom all authors are US
citizens can you find? As I understand it, they can't ignore
international copyrights.