[Wikimedia-l] Licencing question

Stevie Benton stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
Wed Jan 23 10:10:54 UTC 2013

Hello all,

An issue this raises for me is this: If we're to include copyright
information on blog posts regarding the use of CC licensed images, is this
going to have to be applied to all Wikipedia articles illustrated with
images too? Apologies if I've missed something here.

Thanks,

Stevie

On 22 January 2013 23:51, Michael Jahn <michael.jahn at wikimedia.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> great question, Richard! Seconding Matthew's comment on WMF blog policy: At
> Wikimedia Deutschland we adopted the bottom notes for posts with multiple
> images[1]. As a general rule, we include attribution in the bylines[2].
>
> Adding yet another aspect to sufficient CC licensing, let's not forget that
> CC deeds actually recommend linking to deeds[3], as exemplified here[4].
>
> I particularly like Thomas' notion of not differentiating between
> attribution requirements for text and images. From my personal
> understanding of CC license terms, I agree. There is no difference, which
> indeed leads to the question:
>
> "How to deal with authorship attribution of dozens of authors (to pick a
> rather simple example) under CC-BY-SA in any convincing manner?" That is,
> "convincing" as in "intuitive and practical use cases".
>
> I sense that this is, first of all, an issue for Creative Commons licensing
> politics.
>
> Best,
> Michael
>

> [1] see e. g.
>
> https://blog.wikimedia.de/2013/01/17/die-gesichter-hinter-den-zahlen-ein-ruckblick-auf-die-spendenkampagne-2012-2/
> [2] see e. g.
>
> https://blog.wikimedia.de/2013/01/21/die-server-der-wikimedia-foundation-ziehen-um/
> [3] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
> [4] please follow the asterisc here
>
> http://blog.wikimedia.de/2012/06/20/zahlen-und-bilder-die-wikimania-2012-in-washington-d-c/
>
> 2013/1/22 Matthew Roth <mroth at wikimedia.org>
>
> > On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Richard Symonds <
> > richard.symonds at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I have a question for you which I am sure you will enjoy discussing.
> It's
> > > about licencing.
> > >
> > > Wikimedia sites do not use a 'byline' on their images - for example,
> > > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page requires an image to be
> > > clicked
> > > on before you can view the licence and the author information. The same
> > > applies for Wikipedia, and the WMF (and WMUK) blogs.
> > >

> > Hi Richard,
> > On the Wikimedia blog, we include "Copyright notes" at the bottom of each
> > post with images and include the Title of the photo, the author's name
> (and
> > link to userpage if available) and the link to the relevant license page
> on
> > CC or elsewhere. See for example:
> >

> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/01/19/wikimedia-sites-move-to-primary-data-center-in-ashburn-virginia/
> >
> > This process was formalized after a Commons user pointed out to us that
> we
> > appeared not to be in compliance with the URI sub-clause of the CC-BY-SA
> > license. cf sections 4 a) and 4 b) here:
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode
> >
> > Our legal team affirmed the Commons user's assertion and we have
> [...]

Stevie Benton
Communications Organiser
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
@StevieBenton

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*