[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia ED Sue Gardner named to Global Voices Board of Directors (MZMcBride)

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 19:11:28 UTC 2013

MZMcBride wrote:
> Given the mention of global citizen journalists in the blog post, I was a
> little surprised to not see a mention of Wikinews. Some collaboration
> between the Wikinewsies and the Global Voices folks might be good to
> explore. (I'll admit that I'm still somewhat trying to wrap my head around
> what Global Voices exactly is, but a collaboration between the two seemed
> like it might have promise....

Global Voices a blog aggregator focusing on the developing world
started by Harvard's Ethan Zuckerman and former CNN bureau chief
Rebecca MacKinnon. Their FAQ is far better than their about page or
the press release:
http://globalvoicesonline.org/about/faq-frequently-asked-questions/

I agree mentioning Wikinews would have been a great idea, in
particular because Global Voices' blogs' content is the sort of thing
which almost always gets immediately reverted from Wikipedia if it's
at all controversial (I saw such a revert of a Global Voices blog
re-post on a Shell abuse in Nigeria just yesterday) in a way that less
reliable but popular US and UK blogs such as Slashdot rarely are.
Global Voices occasionally cites Wikinews and Wikinewsies:
http://globalvoicesonline.org/?s=wikinews

So I trust this bodes well for the (originally 2008) proposal to fund
Wikinews reporters which has surfaced from the community in various
forms through the years -- e.g.
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposal:Reporter_Reimbursement_Program
-- but has never received the merest hint of support from the
Foundation.

Now that will certainly change. Right?