[Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage launch: why no blog post or pressrelease?

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Wed Jan 16 16:28:42 UTC 2013

Hi Tom,

I do agree that it is helpful to coordinate the release time and the banner
time a bit better.

However, that was not the point I was trying to make. This specific release
was tied to the birthday of Wikipedia. However, the release never got
published on January 15 in significant parts of the world. News papers
could at the best pick it up for January 16. Which makes it less likely
they run something based on our release, since the word was going around
anyway that Wikiversity was going to launch on Wikipedia's birthday. The
same goes for Wiki Loves Monuments, which was focused on for example
September 1 (launch) and October 1 (results). We didn't find a perfect
solution yet though, and input on how to manage that properly is always
welcome.

If it is an announcement that is less tied to a specific/symbolic day, this
is of course all less important.

Best,
Lodewijk