[Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage launch: why no blog post or press release?

Jay Walsh jwalsh at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 15 18:30:39 UTC 2013

Matthew distributed the release and the blog post this morning (around 0900
PT), it should have made its way to this list as well:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Wikimedia_Foundation_launches_Wikivoyage
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/01/15/wikimedia-foundation-launches-wikivoyage-a-free-worldwide-travel-guide-that-anyone-can-edit/

Also, happy birthday, Wikipedia! And welcome to our new friends at
Wikivoyage :)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:37 AM, Stevie Benton <
stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi Tom et al,
>
> There is indeed a release - but it is embargoed until 1600 GMT / 0800
> PST...
>
> It's uploaded to the WMUK blog in readiness to go live at the appointed
> hour. I am absolutely certain that the Foundation are equally prepared.
>
> Hope this is helpful,
>
> Stevie
>
> On 15 January 2013 14:35, Tom Morris <tom at tommorris.org> wrote:
>
> > Some friends asked me today about the Wikivoyage launch, and the
> reasoning
> > behind it.
> >
> > I hopped over to https://blog.wikimedia.org/ and found... nothing.
> >
> > Then I went to https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_room and also
> > found... nothing.
> >
> > Any reason why the Foundation hasn't published anything about the
> official
> > launch of Wikivoyage? It'd be quite useful to be able to point my
> enquiring
> > friends to "oh, this is what the Foundation are saying about it", but
> > apparently the Foundation aren't saying anything about it.
> >
> > --
> > Tom Morris
> > <http://tommorris.org/>

> Stevie Benton
> Communications Organiser
> Wikimedia UK
> +44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
> @StevieBenton
>
> Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
> and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
> Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
> London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
> global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
> Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> *Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
> control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*

Jay Walsh
Senior Director, Communications
WikimediaFoundation.org
blog.wikimedia.org