[Wikimedia-l] Harvard urges Elsevier boycott

Andrea Zanni zanni.andrea84 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 08:26:30 UTC 2013

I'm sorry, let me a pedant librarian:

* the topic of Access to research has been mainly referred to with the term
Open Access. You will find tons of material with that name.

* we have a Wikimedian in Residence for Open Access, Daniel Mietchen.

* *Open Access and the divide between “mainstream” and “peripheral” science* is
a great essay by Guédon (underlines some social drawbacks of the current
publishing system), one of the best I read. You can find it here:
http://eprints.rclis.org/12156

* *Reinventing discovery* is a great 2011 book from Michael Nielsen, it
speaks about Open Access and also crowdsourcing in escience. Very
interesting.

* the folks at archiveteam set up this: http://aaronsw.archiveteam.org/ It
is not properly legal, read it all.

* if you want to publish in/read a OA journal, find it here:
http://www.doaj.org

As for us, the Wikimedia movement, we can definetely do more. It is just a
matter of tactics, but we want this, so make it happen.

Aubrey