[Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Josh Lim jamesjoshualim at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 00:37:09 UTC 2013

(For the first time I am finally posting on the Wikimedia-l list. :P)

Thanks for posting this, Everton.  It is extremely moving and, somehow, this should remind us of why we are all still here, and what we are fighting for.

With that said, I have said on Meta (and privately) that it's time for us to move the discussion away from his immediate death, and instead start to focus on what his death ought to mean.  I have to agree with Aaron is now a symbol: to me (and perhaps to many of us as well), he's now an ideal worth fighting for.  And, indeed, we have to complete the work that he started, if ever we will make his death meaningful.  I expressed these sentiments in a Facebook note I wrote yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/josh-lim/a-question-of-reflection-and-legacy-a-non-tribute-to-aaron-swartz/10151315708551878

Regards,

Josh

On Jan 15, 2013, at 6:29 AM, Everton Zanella Alvarenga <ezalvarenga at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> It is worth to listen professor Lessig interview on Democracy now
>
> http://www.democracynow.org/2013/1/14/an_incredible_soul_lawrence_lessig_remembers#.UPRn4_WqvF0.twitter
>
> "An Incredible Soul"
>
> --
> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
> useful than a life spent doing nothing."

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Block I1, AB Political Science
Major in Global Politics, Minor in Chinese Studies
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Trustee (2010-2013), Wikimedia Philippines
Member, Ateneo Debate Society
Member, The Assembly

jamesjoshualim at yahoo.com | +63 (917) 841-5235
Friendster/Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://akira123323.livejournal.com