[Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop

Tobias church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 14 21:01:27 UTC 2013

First of all, I'm glad there's a Wikimedia Shop. I don't think it'll
make big money, but even if it's only self-sustaining it's totally worth it.

I also think that generally we should be happy to try stuff out and use
banners to advertise new services.

However, I share with Mono the worry that large, colorful and
distracting banners are becoming the standard, rather than the
exception. I think part of the reason why "big" banners are used is
because they are easier to create: most banners are created by copying
existing banners and most existing banners are those huge fundraising
banners.

We should remember that we have banners in all flavours:
* very low key ---
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=stew2011_noms
* short & small ---
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=WMDE_community_budget
* a bit larger ---
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=BrazilMeetups
* do not use! ---
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=money_or_die

James, was the banner type/size a conscious decision you made? Or did
you just choose to go with a standard ("big") banner?

Regards,
Tobias