[Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop

James Alexander jalexander at wikimedia.org
Mon Jan 14 09:44:19 UTC 2013

Aye, I know it's something new and not that not all
together uncontroversial. I posted about my thoughts and proposed plan on
enWP last week (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(miscellaneous)#Wikimedia_Shop_Central_Notices_and_Sale_for_Wikipedia_Birthdaywith
a pointer on WP:AN) and while we got relatively little conversation on
wiki I got a lot of feedback from community members off wiki as well. It
was also in the signpost notes last week (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2013-01-07/News_and_notes)
 In fact I got 10 users emailing complaining that I was late setting
it
up this evening (they were right).

The test planned for tomorrow (for Anonymous users in North America,
without a discount) is mostly to see the potential for this to fund the
Giveaway program we've been running (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Merchandise_giveaways ) that is a
run away success.

We see both of these as very much a test and even if it succeeds something
that should only be done incredibly rarely and with community input, but I
think it's a good thing to test.

James

James Alexander
Manager, Merchandise