[Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 23:36:55 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Sarah Stierch <sarah.stierch at gmail.com>wrote:

> Official statement from the family:
>
> http://soupsoup.tumblr.com/**post/40373383323/official-**
> statement-from-the-family-and-**partner-of<http://soupsoup.tumblr.com/post/40373383323/official-statement-from-the-family-and-partner-of>
>
> I hope someone will perhaps write a blog post for the Wikimedia blog about
> his impact on the Wikimedia and free knowledge movement. This could be a
> community project.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/**wiki/Blog<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Blog>
>
> -Sarah

I do not know about a blog post, but a few San Francisco Wikimedians
(myself included) are exploring the possibility of holding a quiet,
respectful open house next week in honor of Aaron, hosted at the Foundation.

I should emphasize that we haven't decided yet, since if Creative Commons
or the EFF are holding events of any kind, we will likely defer to
supporting that, rather than holding anything separately. I will keep folks
posted.

Steven