[Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage: Chance, bore, or hazard

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 22:45:52 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Ziko van Dijk <vandijk at wmnederland.nl>wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> Since November 2012, Wikivoyage is a part of the Wikimedia movement. I
> have come to some thoughts about this old/new project, both from the
> perspective of a collaborator and from the perspective of the
> movement.
>
> Chance:
> Wikivoyage has a huge potential; it may open the movement for new
> collaborators who were not attracted enough by Wikipedia. There is
> still low hanging fruit, and there are working chapters - and the WMF
> - to support the new family member. Integrating Wikivoyage is also a
> challenge for the movement, it has to prove that it is capable to do
> so. (And recommend itself for other wikis to join.)
>
> Bore:
> But, if Wikivoyage fails to make use of its potential, it will be one
> more Wikimedia wiki rather small and limited in range, such as
> Wikiquote or Wikinews. A community grown over the years may be good in
> binding (linking the existing members to each other), but less in
> bridging (being open for new members and contacting others). We see
> the same phenomenon (that new people find it difficult their way, or
> are even expelled more or less explicitly) also with Wikipedia, but on
> a much higher level. Also Wikipedia loses community members slowly,
> with difficulties acquiring new ones.
>
> Hazard:
> Wikipedia developed a lot of rules over the years, often after heavy
> debates and scandals. For example, the Seigenthaler incident and other
> cases of calumny led to the policy about Biographies of Living People.
> Wikivoyage has still a rather limited set of rules, and wishes to
> remain so. Wikipedia is neutral, Wikipedia uses references, while
> Wikivoyage allows to criticize e.g. a restaurant and does not require
> a source. But where is the limit between exercising one's freedom of
> speech and libel? Scandals can backfire to the whole movement.
>
> In my humble opinion, this is a good moment for Wikivoyagers (old and
> new ones alike) to engage in discussions about style, limitations,
> good practices, and improve the site to make it newbies easier to
> join. With the good will from all sides, Wikivoyage should become a
> chance for the movement rather than anything else.
>
> Kind regards
> Ziko

Thanks for the thoughtful commentary Ziko.

As one step toward properly welcoming Wikivoyagers... are many of them on
this list? It would be cool to get some replies and short introductions
from those that are. :)

It might also be good to cross-post this to the Traveller's Pub in English,
German, and others we can.

Steven