[Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Everton Zanella Alvarenga ezalvarenga at wikimedia.org
Sat Jan 12 17:06:17 UTC 2013

[...]

"The first site I built was called get.info. The idea was to have a
free, online encyclopedia that anyone could edit or add things to or
reorganize, right through their web browser. I built the whole thing,
added lots of cool features, tested it on all sorts of browsers, and
was very proud of it. It actually won even a prize for one of the best
new web applications that year. Unfortunately, the only people I knew
at the time were other kids in my school, so I didn't really have
anyone writing a lot of encyclopedia articles. (Luckily, several years
later, my mother pointed me to this new site called "Wikipedia" that
was doing the same thing.)"

[...]

>From "How to Get a Job Like Mine" <https://aaronsw.jottit.com/howtoget>.

Thanks for the links bellow. This was a really horrible lost for all of us.

Tom

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> As has been noted, Aaron (User:AaronSw) was a prolific Wikipedian
> since 2003 and a candidate in the 2006 Board election. His writings
> during his election campaign are worth re-reading:
>
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/wikiroads
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/whowriteswikipedia
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/whorunswikipedia
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/morewikipedians
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/morewikipedias
> http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/wikicodeislaw
>
> He was also described as "one of the early architects of Creative
> Commons" by Larry Lessig [1], and founded infogami which merged into
> Reddit, so he's sometimes called a Reddit co-founder as well.
>
> Since then he's turned to activism and co-founded Demand Progress
> which has been rallying opposition to bad Internet law, including
> SOPA/PIPA.
>
> Cory Doctorow's obituary is a very personal goodbye and includes a
> video of Aaron's talk "How we stopped SOPA".
>
> http://boingboing.net/2013/01/12/rip-aaron-swartz.html
>
> Aaron was an intense, passionate and focused intellectual who
> dedicated his life to changing the world for the better - and he did.
> It's a shocking loss and deeply sad that he left us so early, that he
> saw no other way. May he rest in peace.
>
> Erik
>
> [1] http://www.lessig.org/2006/09/if-i-could-vote-on-the-wikiped/

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing."