[Wikimedia-l] Editor retention (was Re: "Big data" benefits and limitations (relevance: WMF editor engagement, fundraising, and HR practices))

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 17:59:28 UTC 2013

Andreas Kolbe, 10/01/2013 18:09:
> Here are the French charts:
> http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/ChartsWikipediaFR.htm
> Here are the English ones:
> http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/ChartsWikipediaFR.htm
>
> Compare the third and fourth charts (for editors making more than 5 and
> more than 100 edits per month respectively). The height of the bars in the
> French charts is still rising. It's a continuous upward trend.

Sorry, I've no idea what you're looking at: I don't see any continuous
upward trend, as I said in the previous message. Sure, if you compare
the last month of each wiki with the month of en.wiki's highest peak you
can prove whatever you want.

Yaroslav M. Blanter, 10/01/2013 18:11:
 > On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:24:12 +0000, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
 >> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
 >> <nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:
 >>
 >>> David Gerard, 09/01/2013 00:32:
 >>>

 >>> This has often made people wonder if the causes are external (Facebook?
 >>> Facebook is also almost non-existing in Russia, right?).
 >>>
 >>> Nemo
 >>

 > No, incorrect. Facebook exists in Russia and is somehow popular, though
 > it is not the most popular social medium.

Thanks for the information! The en.wiki articles are not super-clear
about it.
Are its competitors less able to (allegedly) convert the web population
in a mass of dumbs, or of otherwise draining all their mental energies? :p

Nemo