[Wikimedia-l] Editor retention (was Re: "Big data" benefits and limitations (relevance: WMF editor engagement, fundraising, and HR practices))

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.rs
Wed Jan 9 09:32:00 UTC 2013

On 09/01/13 10:03, Kim Bruning wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 07:45:41AM +0000, David Gerard wrote:
>> Right. So anyone in this thread going into detail about en:wp policies
>> is actually not addressing this, and the problem is on a higher level?
>
> :-/	Back to the drawing board. That actually makes
> the problem a lot harder!
>
> (does mean we know where to start looking though)

I am not sure that Facebook is the problem.
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=wikipedia,facebook does show that
Facebook overtook Wikipedia sometime in 2007, but that happened
relatively slowly.

Having said that, there have been suggestions to introduce social
networking features in Wikipedia. WikiLove is a step in that direction.
So, what could be the next step? Befriend users and see their edits and
new articles? Like edits and articles?