[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Fwd: Wikimedia/mapping event in Europe early next year?

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 8 20:47:29 UTC 2013

(Since this is about a tech event, can we keep CCed wikitech-l only?)

>>> Anyone know if this is happening or not?  Sometime around the chapters
>>> meeting seems as good a time as any.  Or maybe attached as a few days
>>> before/after the Amsterdam hackathon.

The developers actually involved think that April it's too late. Tomasz
Finc and Max Semenik  have the lead on our end. They are also convinced
that it is better to organize it next to an existing event in order to
save organizational effort.

This leaves us with

Open Source Days, 9-10 March 2013, Copenhagen/Denmark
http://www.opensourcedays.org/

What we still miss is a confirmation of the organizers, but the event is
held in a business school full of classrooms so I don't expect any
problem. See the nice streetmap view of the building at
http://www.opensourcedays.org/2012/transport  :)

I have asked tfinc and MaxSem to forward the relevant emails so I can
catch up and confirm the venue asap. Any help from Wikimedia Denmark is
welcome, of course.

Cristian, your proposal looks very interesting and the only reason not
to take it is that the date of the chapters meeting doesn't fit with the
developers plans. Would you be open for another tech activity in another
occasion?

Also, see how different this discussion could have been if we would have
got active MediaWiki Groups in the cities mentioned, or the many place
we haven't mentioned. Go for a local group and be ready to host the next
cool hackathon in the pipeline!  :)

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups

--
Quim Gil