[Wikimedia-l] compromise?

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Sat Jan 5 00:03:51 UTC 2013

On 1/4/2013 12:17 PM, James Salsman wrote:
> Even the best medical plans don't protect medical debtors the way that
> the ability to finance long term personal debt with greater salary and
> savings does.
Right, and the best approach would be for employees to get no health
insurance at all, I'm sure they would rather have the cost of that
benefit paid out in salary instead and be left entirely on their own for
medical expenses. Seriously, I know the US approach to paying for
healthcare has its problems, but that has to be the most bizarre
conclusion I've ever seen on the topic. You think that having people
mortgage their future and simply giving them more cash, which they don't
ultimately enjoy other than to pay loans at distressed interest rates,
is a greater benefit to them than providing the best insurance coverage
we can offer?
> Three quarters of U.S. debtors entering bankruptcy for
> medical reasons have insurance:
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/american_journal_of_medicine_09.pdf
Yes, lots of people are underinsured in various ways. The Wikimedia
Foundation tries to provide generous health coverage to protect its
employees from having to deal with exactly that.

--Michael Snow