[Wikimedia-l] Editor retention (was Re: "Big data" benefits and limitations (relevance: WMF editor engagement, fundraising, and HR practices))

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 19:36:31 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 5:03 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

> With respect to welcoming and assisting new users on the English
> Wikipedia where there is a bewildering volume of varied activity by new
> and experienced users it might be helpful if we had a recent changes
> options that showed only edit by new editors with less than say 100 edits
> that could be monitored. Newbie helpers could then welcome, comment,
> compliment, or otherwise assist the new user. Obviously access to such a
> recent changes option by those looking for trouble could also be used in
> ways that would discourage the new user. Perhaps access could be limited
> to only flagged newbie helpers.

These aren't power tools like what vandalfighters have in Huggle or
Twinkle, but I would check out the two following feeds of new editor
activity, if you want to give this kind of task a try:

--
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&contribs=newbiewhich
shows newbie edits of all sorts

Steven