[Wikimedia-l] compromise?

Quim Gil qgil at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 4 18:17:12 UTC 2013

On 01/03/2013 09:12 AM, Michael Snow wrote:
> the Wikimedia Foundation
> provides benefits that meet or exceed those of just about any employer
> it might be "competing" with.

fwiw until recently I was working in the so-called Silicon Valley for a
Scandinavian big tech corp with Scandinavian standards for HR practices
and health care coverage. The coverage I get at the WMF for my family
and myself is no different (including my fully covered "domestic
partner" aka not-married mother of my children).

My salary has been significantly reduced with the change, indeed. But it
is definitely more than enough to have a regular middle class life in
the Bay Area. And then again we would be comparing the salary I had in
such company after 5 years of (hopefully good) work, not the one I had
at the beginning. I'm hoping to get some salary increase if/when I can
proof good results of my work but I'm not even aiming to reach the same
level I got in a for-profit tech corp in Silicon Valley. That would feel
wrong, being most of the WMF based on individual donations and being the
WMF active in so many countries where so much can be done with the
difference between such corporate salary and the one I've got now.

PS: speaking entirely for myself although I wouldn't be surprised if
this sentiment is shared among other WMF employees.

--
Quim Gil
Technical Contributor Coordinator @ Wikimedia Foundation