[Wikimedia-l] Info: Election for WCA Chairperson

Jan-Bart de Vreede jdevreede at wikimedia.org
Mon Feb 25 14:51:24 UTC 2013

Hey Ziko

No actually we did not agree on that. We agreed that there were several reasons that chapters might not join the Chapters Association. Again: i do not know all the specifics and cannot give you the arguments for the chapters that did not join, but some certainly voiced a reluctance to become part of a membership organisation within the Wikimedia Movement, simply because they felt it was a bit much)

And I am not sure that creating a membership model within a group of approved chapters (who have therefore already passed the AffCom test) can be described as a "democratic model". You are creating an preferred status. You could argue that it is much more democratic to give all the approved organisations a vote. After all the Chapters Association intends to help all chapters with the exchange of knowledge of skills… regardless of wether they are a member or not (that was the last status I heard).

Jan-Bart