[Wikimedia-l] Term limits for WMF board members?

Fae faewik at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 12:00:23 UTC 2013

On 25 February 2013 11:43, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 February 2013 11:30, Fae <faewik at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The UK Chapter appreciated this recommendation from Compass which
>> re-enforced the board's past discussions in this area
>
> What discussions did it reinforce? The last discussion about term
> limits I'm aware of (February 2012, if memory serves) was very short
> because the board was unanimously against it. It sounds like there has
> been a big swing since then...

I think we must have been in different meetings, my intuitive sense
tells me that the board has never been unanimously against it though I
would be happy to be corrected against the minutes. I have always been
for term limits, and the classic 2x3 limit suggested by Compass
happens to fit perfectly with discussion the board had about a term
limit of a maximum of 5 or 6 years. This dates as far back as
discussions when Andrew was Chairman, and though we always want to
retain continuity and the knowledge that long serving volunteers
offer, this must be balanced against ensuring suitable turn-over as
part of a demonstration of openness.

In practice, we still draw upon ex-trustees with brains full of
valuable knowledge by adopting them as advisor, associates, inviting
them to join Committees or having them retained as committed and
recognized leading volunteers. I would like to see past trustees
re-join the board after a year or more away doing more interesting
things, I have been around long enough to appreciate their value and
special talents, especially yours Tom.

Cheers,
Fae