[Wikimedia-l] In France, sharing copyleft works without paying a fee could become illegal

Orionist orion.ist at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 17:39:25 UTC 2013

Hi Mathieu,

I think we need to wait to read the final, original text of the Lescure
proposals before jumping to conclusions. If you go to the original
"Libération" article [1] that reported on the Lescure mission, you'll find
that the context [2] in which the CC is mentioned does not make any sense.
Why only non-commercial licenses are singled out? And why would it affect
VOD (video on demand) in particular, or even at all?

I think the intent of the report was to say that non-commercial sharing,
for example by torrents instead of selling pirated DVDs, should be treated
as commercial because it still affects legal offers like VOD. The bit about
CC licenses seems irrelevant to me and probably constitutes a gross
misunderstanding of what CC is and of copyright in general.

I'd suggest contacting the Libération journalist who wrote the article and
asking them if the mention of CC was spelled out in the Lescure proposals.
Because it might be the journalist's own conjecture. In fact, journalists
misunderstanding copyright is a very common occurrence. It's better to make
sure these reports are 100% accurate before we get all riled up.

Regards,
--
Orionist

[1]
http://www.liberation.fr/medias/2013/02/20/lescure-les-positions-du-missionnaire_883309

[2] *"En parallèle, pas de dépénalisation des échanges non marchands au
programme, mais la volonté de «valoriser» les licences libres du type
Creative Commons. La mission Lescure estime que laisser les œuvres circuler
librement (ce qu’elles font déjà…) risquerait de freiner le développement
de l’offre légale, en particulier la VOD."*

----