[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation's support of OTRS

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Thu Feb 21 08:02:03 UTC 2013

Keegan Peterzell wrote:
>This conversation should shift to meta sooner rather than later.  I'm not
>on my PC, but perhaps /Talk:OTRS/Software?

I'm not sure moving to Meta-Wiki is a good idea. "OTRS" is the current
software. It's unclear what a "Software" talk subpage would be used for.

I'm inclined to say that whoever steps up and makes a commitment to
support a ticket response system can pick whether to stick with OTRS
or move to a different system, as long as it's comparable to (or better
than) OTRS.

James' post offered a lot of insight into why this has been so
slow-moving. (Thank you, James!) But at this point it seems fairly clear
that someone needs to become responsible for the technical support of OTRS
or its successor. I'm not sure Meta-Wiki can help with that. It seems more
like an organization issue.

James Alexander wrote:
>Yeah, I have to agree sadly that we need more tech support and this has
>been a thing that has been ongoing for a while. I personally think it
>should remain in the foundation for many reasons (the least of which is
>relatively large legal reasons) but we REALLY need to focus on it, or a
>replacement, more.

I would think the Wikimedia Foundation would want to remain pretty distant
from unfiltered volunteer replies to e-mails, from a legal standpoint, but
maybe someone from the Wikimedia Foundation legal team can chime in on
this point.

Thanks again for your post. Some of the background info in particular was
enlightening.

MZMcBride