[Wikimedia-l] Looking back at the London Conference

James Alexander jamesofur at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 23:47:17 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Ziko van Dijk <vandijk at wmnederland.nl>wrote:

> Hello,
> Just to keep in mind: it has been no secret, from the beginning, that the
> WCA planned to hire somebody. The WMF board is supported by employees too,
> and I guess that the WMF has a number of regulations. Enough room for views
> to evolve.
> But it sounds good to focus on getting things started instead of focusing
> on process, structure etc. - I will remember that when the WMF asks again
> report after report from the chapters' volunteers...
> Ziko

I just want to point out something that I think gets lost frequently... yes
the WMF is supported by staff etc but it wasn't really when it was created.
They had Brion working for Bomis but he was the only one for quite a while,
 then it had 2-3 for a while. The large amount of staff was only relatively
recently when it was decided that it was beneficial and necessary for the
goals that it had. It's first full year (2004) the TOTAL expenses were
$23,463 , in 2005 it was $177,670 (only $16,930 being wages, the majority
of it was hosting charges). You can argue that you don't agree with the
increase in staff or with the goals but they waited until they had that
before they grew, it wasn't out of the blue and it wasn't just because they
had money. The evidence is pretty clear on that.

I also think the idea that "The WMF has staff so clearly the WCA should (or
even the Chapters) and you're being a hypocrite by not wanting it " is a
disingenuous response that keeps getting repeated. They are different
animals. The only ways this would be a fair comparison is if you think the
chapters and/or the WCA should be the same as the WMF and/or similar. I
don't think that's what most people want in the community and most chapter
members involved have been quick to say it isn't what THEY want. If the aim
of the WCA is supposed to be another WMF or an Anti-WMF then ... sure... I
guess I can see why it's hypocritical for them to say you don't need it
while they have staff but... that doesn't seem to be the case.... and if it
is lets discuss THAT because I think that's a really bad idea.

Groups should grow naturally, they should incorporate only when necessary
and get staff only when necessary, trying to push them before they are
ready only makes things worse.  We have been having a long standing habit
within the meta movement to rush towards organizations and staff long
before it's necessary, pissing away money and good will.

James