[Wikimedia-l] Are chapters part of the community and board seats for affiliates?

Béria Lima berialima at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 15:03:32 UTC 2013

> *Whilst this is true, is there a good reason as to why much of the
> discussion for chapter-elected board seats happens in private? **it
> appears chapter discussion happens on a private chapters wiki and
> chapters-l, a mailing list restricted to only current board members of
> chapters*

Actually it doesn't. If you see the process, pretty much most of it
happened in meta. The part that doesn't happens in the board of each
Chapter (and that is actually private with them) and then they come and say
who they could support and who they couldn't. After that, if there is
consensus the two people are appointed, but since in this year it didn't,
there was a vote (on chapters wiki) and the two with more votes in STV
method got appointed (In this case Patricio and Alice). No drama happens,
we don't kill anyone or anything in the process, there is no cabala, etc
etc etc.

*During which time candidates lose their access to that wiki/mailing list
> but presumably gain access to it afterwards. Unless all the discussions are
> deleted, what is the benefit of having these discussions in private,
> especially if the candidates will see what was said about them after the
> election?*

They do lose access during the election and regain it after. The idea is
not to hide the process from then, is to have a fair discussion. Not all
candidates have access to the list[1], which right there gives then an
advantage the others doesn't. If they have access they would know who
supports then and who doesn't, and what people want the candidate to do and
he could make his "campaign" over this. The second part is to have the
chapters to say what they really think of the candidates (I can't really
say why I would never vote for candidate A or B if I know that candidate is
seeing the message during the election time).

*I understand why we use private voting through SecurePoll for the
> "community" elections but please could someone explain what I'm missing
> with regards to Chapter selected seats?*

We use a "SecureWikiPoll" vote method. That is also private like the
community one is. :)

*Béria Lima*

[1] If I'm not mistaken only 2 candidates last year had access - and none
of then got appointed so they both regain it.

*
Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre
acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a construir
esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*