[Wikimedia-l] Are chapters part of the community and board seats for affiliates?

Thehelpfulone thehelpfulonewiki at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:32:42 UTC 2013

On 19 February 2013 13:48, Bence Damokos <bdamokos at gmail.com> wrote:

> To be perfectly fair, all the nominations for the 2012 selection were
> public, so this was less of a problem than in 2010 when they were not
> published.

Whilst this is true, is there a good reason as to why much of the
discussion for chapter-elected board seats happens in private? Looking at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapter-selected_Board_seats/2012/Process it
appears chapter discussion happens on a private chapters wiki and
chapters-l, a mailing list restricted to only current board members
of chapters, during which time candidates lose their access to that
wiki/mailing list but presumably gain access to it afterwards. Unless all
the discussions are deleted, what is the benefit of having these
discussions in private, especially if the candidates will see what was said
about them after the election?

I understand why we use private voting through SecurePoll for the
"community" elections but please could someone explain what I'm missing
with regards to Chapter selected seats?

--
Thehelpfulone
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone