[Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton rodrigo.argenton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 07:27:05 UTC 2013

sooo weird...

Just some observations, my written English is bad, it is something I have to
improve, however, my understanding, both read when listening are close to a
native, and my oral production is excellent (:P). And honestly, I will not
really use my writing ability in Wikimania or Hong Kong, but my English was
evaluated for it.

But I think the message should be "have a level of English sufficient to
follow the lectures, discussions and conversations"

And also I did not find that a good test for English, there's a maximum
limit, but there is no minimum limit. I could say: "I have a very
restricted diet because I am Jewish and vegan, so my diet is restricted to
that."

I could say, or, "I like almost everything, but I'm lactose intolerant, so
I can do much poop if I eat things with milk." Until that can be
interpreted only
as something to check if I have dietary restrictions, as in previous
questionnaires.

And one of the advantages of being Brazilian, is that many of us find it
easy to understand other Latinos, the reverse is not true, I would not find
it strange to see some lectures in Interlingua, or even, Italian or Spanish.

But as the Wikimania is itinerant, lectures in the local language could be
very interesting, and even a form of local people interact more, I
know that English
is present among the HK natives, but I do not see why not have a lectures in
Cantonese to appreciate local culture...

On 19 February 2013 01:09, Mathieu Stumpf <psychoslave em culture-libre.org>wrote:

> Le lundi 18 février 2013 à 21:09 +1100, Liam Wyatt a écrit :
> > Yes, I think that writing "I will bring Stroopwafels" gives you an
> > automatic extra 10points in the scholarship assessment ;-)
> >
> > wittylama.com
> > Peace, love & metadata
>
> Goddamn[1], why do you tell that only now!
>
> [1] Of course you should have read "le Mariage de Figaro" to understand
> this subtle reference :
> {{fr}} http://monsu.desiderio.free.fr/bibliotheque/goddam.html

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
rodrigo.argenton em gmail.com