[Wikimedia-l] New proposal for a wiki Project!

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 22:35:46 UTC 2013

On Feb 18, 2013 10:27 PM, "Kevin Behrens" <kevin_behrens at hotmail.de> wrote:

> Language is identity! Would you like to tell those People that it is not
bad when they lose their language. As I mentioned, I am a member of a
linguistic minority, too, and I would feel like my human rights where taken
if someone tells me I should learn another language because mine is not so
much worth. Language is culture and is human right, everybody has the right
for his language.

What people are you talking about? While there have been cases of languages
being forcefully suppressed, generally speaking they die because no-one
wants to speak them any more (because they aren't useful for communicating
any more, which is the primary purpose of a language). Whether or not you
speak a language is entirely up to you. Whose rights are being violated
when it's just a matter of individual choice?