[Wikimedia-l] Massive open online course(s) about Wikipedia Fwd: [Wikimedia Education]

Everton Zanella Alvarenga ezalvarenga at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 13 13:53:34 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sage Ross <ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Subject: [Wikimedia Education] Massive open online course(s) about Wikipedia
To: Wikimedia Education <education at lists.wikimedia.org>

Hey folks! I just put up an Individual Engagement Grant proposal for
an idea I've been kicking around for a while now: getting a course
about Wikipedia onto one of the big 'massive open online course'
systems that have been so successful lately (Coursera, Udacity, edX).
Coursera classes typically have tens of thousands of students, so
there's huge potential for recruiting new Wikipedians and bringing
together a lot of the knowledge we've developed about teaching *about*
Wikipedia.

If you're interested, have a look at the proposal:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/Wikipedia_Massive_Open_Online_Courses

And if you have an interest in *leading* a MOOC, let's talk.

Cheers,
Sage Ross (in a volunteer capacity)

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing."